Wednesday, February 19, 2014

About Communication

I expect to learn more new, more immediately relevant vocabulary; to speak more intelligibly; to express ideas with more clarity; as well as more about the unique qualities of my own city (as our project is on this topic).

Communication is mutual expression and understanding of thoughts and ideas. The idea of communication is important to me because I believe everyone's (including my own) thoughts deserve to be heard by everyone else (including myself). This is probably why I've chosen to take on as many languages as I possibly can. I want to be able to communicate with as many people as I possibly can. Communication is the first step towards understanding.

7 comments:

  1. I really like your ideas being deserved to be heard. Bring in human rights is a really interesting twist on this conversation about communication.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also really appreciated your writing about how you, and others, deserve to hear what you have to say – language is definitely a means by which one can avoid being silenced or silencing others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's great that you relate your study of Japanese and your study of Korean. That must be very difficult! I think the New York City topic is great--I think you came from New York, so you must have a lot to say about it. Perhaps you can even make some suggestions about places to visit, etc.? I also think it's good that you mention vocabulary--as 一年生 we don't learn a whole lot of specialized vocabulary and the podcast project is a good opportunity to do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, I don't know that much about my own city... So this will be a great chance for me to learn! haha

      Delete
  4. Wow, New York is such an interesting topic! Especially since, like Solin さん said, you come from NY and you probably have a lot to say. Are you focusing on a particular topic?
    And I really agree with the importance you stated on communication, so many conflicts (large and small scale) could be avoided if parties could effectively communicate with each other and see what the other party is stating clearly without their own bias and actually make an effort to understand the other side!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're going to talk about aspects of New York that are unique!! ^^

      Delete
  5. As you mentioned, you will definitely learn language that is more relevant to the language use in your living context. I really like that you included yourself in your definition of communication. I hope you will be able to discover more about yourself and others through the podcasting project. Good luck!
    TA: Aoki

    ReplyDelete